Engaging Men and Boys

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Stephanie Romano

In order to end violence against women and girls, it is important that we also engage men and boys in the conversation. A California program called Coaching Boys into Men (CBIM) does through athletic coaches teaching their young athletes that violence never equals strength and violence against women and girls is wrong. In 2012, they underwent an evaluation and found that athletes who participated in the program were significantly more likely to intervene when witnessing abusive or disrespectful behaviors among their peers, and were also more likely to report less abuse perpetration. You can read more about their program and strategies here: http://www.coachescorner.org/impact/

What are some of the ways your community or organization involves men and boys in the conversation about violence against women?

Kristina Page
      Participant

I think it is really important for our staffing to reflect the importance of victims to see healthy male allies. I am glad that HRM does this. I find it especially important in residential programs because young boys and girls see this and its important that our staffing is diverse and reflects the victims and families we serve.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.